June was a horrible month for us. We bought our first trailer thinking it would be a summer of camping, and having fun! Instead, this happened.....
Ben was in the drivers side, I was in the passenger side, and Zo was in the middle back.
Our new trailer :-(No, our truck was not a flat bed! The back was smashed.


We rolled our truck, and trailer. The truck rolled 2 1/2 times, and landed on the passenger side. We were on our way down to the Sand Dunes with the Brown Family. Something we've been doing for the past couple of years with them. We were so excited this year that we had a trailer to take!! Well, on our way down I just started to get a really bad feeling. We stopped in Tooele to fill up with gas, and I just felt sick to my stomach. I didn't say anything to Ben. Instead, while he was out getting gas...I closed my eyes and said a quick little prayer that we would be safe. Zoey was falling asleep in the back seat, so I got some pillows and blankets out of the trailer to stack next to her in the truck, so that she could lay her head on them. The whole way down I kept asking Ben questions like, "what happens if the trailer starts swaying, what do we do?" We were about 3 or 4 miles from the turn off to the Dunes. It was raining, so the roads were a little slick. All the sudden, a huge truck and trailer pass us. They were SO close to us, we could have reached our hands out and touched them. The only way I can descibe it was it was like when sometimes you pass a diesel, and it kind of sucks you in a little. Well, this is what it felt like happened. Immediately our trailer started swaying side to side. I was freaking out, Ben was calm. The swaying just started getting bigger, and bigger. Ben was so calm this whole time, and just said "hold on". I reached to the back seat and grabbed Zoey's hand. Then we hit the embankment, and started to roll. Seriously, the most terrifying thing I've ever been through. I can remember the dust filling the truck as soon as we hit the ground, I remember the best sound in the world....Zoey crying. I can remember seeing Ben hop right out of the truck. Thank goodness my best friend Sherice and her husband were right behind us when this happened. They were there immediately to help us. Sherice went right to the back window where Zoey was, reached in, and was able to pull her out and comfort her. Such a blessing they were there, yet I can't imagine how traumatizing that was to watch. I was in the bottom of the truck on the passenger side. I hit my head, so I kept feeling like I was going to pass out. I just remember Ben and Sherice telling me not to close my eyes. I felt like I was pinned in. This was because I didn't realize my seatbelt was on. I undid my seatbelt, and was able to stand up. Ben was there along with Steve (Sherices husband), and many, many wonderful people that stopped to help. They were all able to pull me out. The ambulence was there so fast. I just remember sitting in Sherice's car, and her cleaning me off. I didn't want Zoey to see me, so Ben was with her...trying to comfort her. We all had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulence. Ben and Zo were in 1...I was in the other. All I could think about was if my baby girl was ok. They kept reassuring me that she was great. Just a little scratch. They said she was making all the ambulence drivers fall in love with her because of how cute she was! (By the way...the ambulence drivers were amazing! They were a family, and were so so nice.) We arrived to the hospitl, and were immediately taken back and checked. Ben and Zoey were just fine, so amazing! I was having a lot of pain in my neck, head, and chest. So I had to go through a few tests. Everything was fine though! I just hit my head really heard, and I think that when I reached back to hold Zoey's hand...I hurt my chest because of the impact with my arm stretched back. Other than being sore, and a few scratches and bruises...we all walked away! The ambulence driver said, "You don't see that very often with that bad of an accident." We were truly blessed, and watched over...no doubt about it. I love my family, and I'm so grateful that we were all ok! Also, I'm SO SO thankful for Sherice and her family! Bonded us even closer than we already were!


3 comments:
GOSH...you just made me re-live the moment I got the call from Sherice. That was the scariest feeling I have ever experience. Yes, so glad you were all ok...love you guys so much! Oh, and yay for you updating your blog :)
aw man! I just got chills reading this and a little teary eyed! I am so glad you guys were ok from that. I can't believe that has almost been a year ago! wow!
so scary!!! i'm so happy you guys were alright! i totally got teary eyed reading this, seriously i can't imagine going through that! life is so precious.
Post a Comment